Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Finale is worth the Pain!

Yesterday (Wednesday) was by far the greatest day of my life. I am going to try to recap the details of what happened post Panera that brought me to last night, which was fabulous.
Tuesday, 9:00 a.m.
Ben and I were certain it was the day and that they were going to send us to the hospital. We were laughing when they sat us in two huge lay-z-boy recliners to monitor my contractions. Little Abney was not kicking as much as the nurse wanted to see nor was her heart rate moving up and down. But my contractions were coming at a steady pace and increasing in discomfort.
The doctor confirmed that I was in fact having contractions but was still only one centimeter dilated. Since I had not progressed from that stand point in a week she sent me home and informed me that it could still be days before it was show time. I had a very hard time not sobbing right there in the room but did challenge her verdict. (Surprised?) She told me I was probably having more pain because I was sleep deprived and prescribed two sleeping pills for me to get some rest that afternoon. Are you kidding me? I'm having steady, painful contractions and you are telling me I could go through this for days or past my due date and you are giving me TWO PILLS?
Approx 2:00 p.m.
We made the looooong drive home and my tears began. I was able to get a few hours of sleep, which was nice since I really had not slept more than an hour or two since Sunday night. But two sleeping pills was still not enough to keep me asleep. I drew another warm bath and lit my candles to try to calm my nerves and ease the pain. Ben gave me something to eat, which if I remember correctly was just two eggo waffles...and this would be the last time I would eat until 10:00 a.m. the next day.
The bath was okay but not enough. I went up and down the stairs, tried laying in bed, tried standing. Ben felt helpless as I cried and told him I couldn't do this and that I didn't know how she would ever get here if I couldn't be strong enough. He tried all of the techniques from the What to Expect book (otherwise known as Pregnancy Bible to me) and although I had trouble appreciating him at the time, his humor and rubbing my back through the pain was so helpful. In fact, just his presence and knowing he supported me was a huge help. I could NOT have done this without him.
Approx 6:00 p.m.
For the sake of TMI let's just say a new development occurred that made it very clear something was going on. I called my doctor and she reminded me that if I went to the hospital before it was time that they may turn me away. That my contractions should be closer together and in timely fashion and bringing me to my knees. But yes, she would call and tell the nurses I was coming if I really thought I needed to go. I should have known to listen to my instincts and not question myself, but it's me so we didn't leave. Instead Ben timed my contractions like the methodical coach we thought he needed to be and I continued to be in pain. At around 8:30 when my mom showed up we had true mother's instinct kick in.
She found me laying on my closet floor (closest soft spot to toilet), swollen with dehydration, and a myriad of other clear indicators I was in labor. In typical Melinda fashion she said, screw what your doctor says we are taking you to the hospital. Thanks Mom. :)
9:14 p.m. Checked In
They put me in a room and confirmed that I had dilated to 3 1/4 cm. I was ready to cry again, didn't I need to be over 4 cm before they would keep me? Thank goodness our wonderful nurse Kim assured me that since I had dilated from 1 that morning that I was getting to stay. YAY!!!!
By 10:00 I had my epidural, fluids, and was able to enjoy the process. My delusional state of pain was gone, and yes, I told the anesthesiologist that I loved him, not as much as Ben but that he was holding a close second. It was like a light switch turned on, so fabulous. I have no idea how anyone has ever done this au naturale when God gave us such fabulous medication. Highly recommended.
3:15 a.m. FIRST PUSH!
Ben, Kim the nurse, and I revved up and got ready. It took me a couple times before I started to push properly but our bigger issue was that my contractions were still not at regular intervals. Can you imagine if I had waited until they got regular like my Doctor said? I would have had Abney on my closet floor with Charlie as the Attending! Anyway, after around fifteen to twenty minutes the doctor now recommended putting me on petosin to get my contractions to be regular so my pushing would be more effective. The doc left and we waited for the meds to kick in. We did what I will call the restart around 3:35. Ben was so excited by the whole process and got into full coach mode. With seventeen to 4:00 a.m. he told me I needed to get her out by then. I looked at him and asked if I could at least be given one hour from start time as a goal? "No, you can do this!"
It was not ten minutes later that she was laying on my chest! She arrived at 3:53 a.m. to give her Daddy time to spare on his stop watch.
3:53 a.m. First Thoughts...
She is beautiful. Her ears are perfect. Where did she get all this hair? Her eyes are blue. Her skin is flawless. Is this really MY baby? Is my husband ever going to stop smiling? I hope not. :)

6 comments:

  1. full body chills and makes me want to cry...I want to meet little Abney so bad! She looks so beautiful even in a tiny picture. By the way wasn't whatever food you ate right afterward the best thing you have ever tasted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry. Having babies is amazing, every minute of it is amazing. My girls amaze me everyday. My mom laughs at me sometimes. She said she has never seen someone so insanely amazed and in awe over thier children as much as I am. I can't see being any other way. I know you will be the same way.

    I think I'm going crazy because I just got the urge for another. Thank God I got the Implanon.

    Love ya, Claire

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying right now! I am so happpy for you and thank you for sharing this amazing experience. It puts me at ease to read what you wrote and I hope when Maggie comes it is the best day of my life as well. Take care of yourself Julia!

    Amy Hill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and with all these little girls around, maybe they will be Pi Phi angels together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah I love reading your thoughts through all of this! So happy :)- Lo

    ReplyDelete